Hinkle said Grapes & Crepes survived to this point with the help of government loans and even an $800 donation that covered last month’s rent.
Prior to Inslee’s order ending indoor dining they were operating at 50 percent capacity.
“We’ve been kind of holding out thinking maybe there’s hope, maybe things will get better and it just didn’t,” Hinkle said.
Even as some businesses were preparing to close their doors, many grocery stores were slammed with a wave of panic buying brought on by the governor’s new orders. Images on television showed lines around the block at area Costco stores and grocery shelves were bare of toilet paper and other similar essentials.
Under the latest restrictions, grocery and convenience stores must operate at 25 percent of capacity. The previous cap was 30 percent, although it’s not clear that was routinely enforced.
On Monday, Inslee’s office said it had anticipated “some hoarding” and again urged people not to rush out and buy up supplies.
“The governor’s message remains consistent: It is harmful and irresponsible to engage in this activity,” said Mike Faulk, a spokesperson for Inslee. “There is no need for it. The supply chain is strong.”
Tammie Hetrick, the president and CEO of the Washington Food Industry Association, which represents independent grocers and convenience store owners, echoed that advice.
“We’re in good shape, we’ve got supplies available as long as people aren’t panic buying and over buying,” Hetrick said.
The challenge now, Hetrick said, will be to get shelves restocked. She was hopeful that will happen quickly because suppliers are better prepared than they were in March. Courtesy of Bill Hinkle