Applications are due by Friday, November 22nd | 5 pm
Northwest Public Broadcasting Internships
Northwest Public Broadcasting is a trusted source of quality content. We are dedicated to enriching our valued community by sharing distinctive programs which engage, enlighten and entertain.
The NWPB internship program provides students with real-world hands-on experience. Students will be able to leave this internship with the understanding of timelines, deadlines and professional quality work.
Ideally, our internship opportunities will enable interns to:
- Integrate and use their knowledge and skills from the classroom
- Develop organizational and management skills
- Strengthen broadcast techniques and production competence, and ultimately
- Prepare for a career in the broadcast/communication industry.
Our program requires one full semester commitment in order to earn internship credit(s).
Internship Coordinator: Greg Mills
(Supervisor: Sueann Ramella):
- This intern will learn NPR and PBS style social media tactics and implement them in social media campaigns to promote NWPB content.
- This intern must have some knowledge of social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.)
- Duties include/but not limited to:
- Create social media campaigns that engage, entertain and enlighten current and new viewers/followers/listeners
- Create graphics and promo posters
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with viewers/listeners on NWPB social media accounts
- Photoshop knowledge is highly encouraged
Development/Fund Raising Writer
(Supervisor: Sandi Billings):
- This intern will be responsible for creating and posting listener and viewer stories on NWPB’s “Our Stories” web page. Stories are gathered, written and/or recorded, edited, and posted to highlight individuals who benefit from and/or contribute to NWPB. Excellent writing skills, project management and follow-through, and listening skills are required. Basic photo editing skills are required.
- Knowledge of audio recording and editing and/or video recording and editing are helpful but not required.
Duties include/but are not limited to:
- Interviewing selected volunteers
- Writing web articles
- Updating NWPB.org
- Sharing completed stories with others at NWPB to increase circulation (i.e., through social media, on-air, newsletter)
- Associate Producer (Supervisor: Greg Mills):
- This position will be responsible for working with our multiple producers generating story ideas, assisting in research and completing pieces for air.
- Duties may include:
- Generating show/topic ideas
- Creating content for online services
- Research of topics
- Scheduling shoot days/times/interviewees
- Video Editing (Supervisor: Greg Mills):
- This internship will provide students hands on experience with the non-linear editing software, Adobe Premiere. Students must come into this position having experience with Adobe Premiere.
- Duties may include:
- Rough cutting long form programs
- Editing station IDs
- Editing interstitials
- Exporting shows and interstitials for air & web distribution
- Programming (Supervisor: Tom Hungate):
- This intern will assist Tom Hungate, program manager, in keeping track of daily logs, new programs & traffic schedule. This internship is located in Richland, Wash.
- Duties Include:
- Monthly scheduling of KTNW/KWSU
- Reviewing programs for broadcast suitability
- Assisting with daily schedules
- Assist preparing FCC reports