President Ernest O. Holland asks the Board of Regents of the State College of Washington to approve a radio broadcasting station.
US Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover authorizes WSC to build a broadcasting station. The station is assigned the call letters KFAE.
KFAE begins broadcasting from the Mechanic Arts Building
First Transmitter - 1925 & The Mechanic Arts Building
College of Engineering Dean H. Hubert V. Carpenter reads an address from US Secretary of Agriculture Henry A. Wallace On-Air.
HV Carpenter as the first General Manager
KFAE broadcasts its first basketball game, in which the Cougs defeat the University of Idaho Vandals 20 to 12.
Call letters change to KWSC
A page from the 1928 edition of the WSU Chinook Yearbook
Maynard Lee Daggy, head of the college’s newly established department of speech, starts what’s believed to be the country’s first college course in radio performance.
Edward R. Murrow ('30) gets his start on air at KWSC.
Esther Stilson, George Stapleton, Betty Ramsbeck, and Edward R. Murrow (right), walking from Pullman to Moscow, in 1927
Edward R. Murrow is a member of Daggy’s radio performance class during his last semester at WSC.
The KWSC studios move into the building now known as Murrow Hall.
This building was first referred to as Old Science Hall. In the 30s, it became known as the Mechanic Arts building and housed many of the first transmitters used at KWSC Studios.
KWSC begins year-round programming.
Kenneth E. Yeend becomes the General Manager
Women join the newsroom as announcers, previously a male-only occupation.
A bomber crossing northern Idaho gets lost in a storm. KWSC urges its audience to go outside, listen, and help track the plane. Dozens of listeners respond, and the bomber makes a safe landing. KWSC is credited with saving the lives of the crew.
Following World War II, Murrow’s reputation as a journalist attracts aspiring radio broadcasters to WSC.
Allen Miller becomes the General Manager
Keith Jackson (’54 Speech) is among the students who recreate each play of the Coug football game at Baylor University using Teletype reports in the studio.
Keith Jackson (center) announcing a football game
Burt Harrison becomes General Manager
KWSC-TV begins broadcasting from Pullman
A WSU student works with 16mm film.
The National Public Broadcasting Act is signed into legislation by President Lyndon B. Johnson.
Tom Foley with Lyndon B. Johnson at a bill signing
KWSC radio becomes KWSU-AM. KWSC television becomes KWSU-TV.
Station Manager, Burt Harrison announces the station name change
Robert Mott, head of WSU’s communication studies, is a co-founder of NPR. KWSU is a founding member.
General Manager Dennis Haarsager and Director of Radio Jean Palmquest celebrate the birthday of the station.
Dennis was instrumental in growing NWPB's radio from a few signals to a state-wide network. During his time, Dennis oversaw 13 stations through the radio network, two television stations, an interactive video network and on-campus instructional technology services.
WSU gains an FM station on the WSU Tri-Cities campus, expanding the broadcast coverage.
The WSU radio network begins broadcasting in Ellensburg, Goldendale/The Dalles, Yakima, Lewiston/Clarkston, Ephrata/Soap Lake, Wenatchee, Cashmere/Dryden, and Chelan/Waterville.
The radio network becomes Northwest Public Radio.
WSU television begins broadcasting from KTNW-TV in Tri-Cities.
Burt Harrison’s book Washington State on the Air is published.
KJEM, “the jazz gem of the Palouse,” goes on the air in Pullman, thanks to 15-year startup funding from Bruce McCaw, son of J. Elroy McCaw (’34 Busi. Admin.), whose initials the call sign honors.
Student announcer on KJEM.
The network develops cell phone apps.
A reading service for sight-impaired listeners is added. Volunteers read the news and sight-impaired listeners use special state-provided radio receivers to tune in.
The network becomes Northwest Public Broadcasting
NWPB celebrates 100 years of broadcasting at WSU as Cara Williams Fry becomes the first woman to lead NWPB as general manager.