Washington Judge Blocks Trump’s Family Planning Law Nationwide
A federal judge in Washington state has blocked the Trump Administration’s new family planning rules from taking effect.
The Trump Administration’s Title X rules could cut off federal funding to Planned Parenthood, and other organizations that give abortion referrals. The changes to Title X, presented earlier this year, were set to go into effect May 3rd, 2019.
Thursday, federal judge Stanley Bastian in Yakima, Washington, issued a nationwide injunction halting the change.
It comes in a case filed by Washington state’s attorney general and abortion rights groups who say the changes were a transparent attack on Planned Parenthood.
State Attorney General Bob Ferguson says the ruling “ensures that clinics across the nation can remain open and continue to provide quality, unbiased healthcare.”
More than 20 other states have sued over the changes. A federal judge in Oregon has given a preliminary ruling saying he, too, plans to partially block the Title X changes in the states represented in the suit.
Conservative religious groups had hailed the changes to family planning law, saying the government shouldn’t have involvement with groups that provide abortions.
Judge Bastian’s preliminary injunction is not a final decision, but blocks the rule until the case is ultimately decided.
Copyright 2019 KUOW
A historic $2 trillion economic recovery package will be sent to the president’s desk for signature after House lawmakers passed the bipartisan bill Friday afternoon. Continue Reading U.S. House Passes $2 Trillion Coronavirus Economic Relief Bill, Heads To President For Signature
One day after its historic impeachment votes, the Democratic-led House gave President Donald Trump an overwhelming bipartisan victory Thursday on a renegotiated trade agreement with Canada and Mexico. By a 385-41 vote, the House approved a bill that puts in place terms of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. Continue Reading After Impeachment, U.S. House Gives President A Victory In New U.S.-Mexico-Canada Trade Deal
Former Secretary of Defense James Mattis said he wouldn’t “engage” on the question of President Donald Trump’s fitness for office, during an interview with PBS NewsHour. Continue Reading Former Defense Secretary Mattis Declines To Weigh In On Trump’s Leadership Fitness